"Shoremen at the Next Level"
November 18, 2006
The regular season ended Saturday for most of our Shoremen grads. Matt Kostelnik’s Mount Union team still playing in the NCAA Division 3 playoffs. The top-ranked Purple Raiders, who are the defending national champs, won their first round game 49-0 over Hope College. Matt had three tackles from his strong safety position. Trey Stross and Iowa have one more game to play. The Hawkeyes will play in the Alamo Bowl against a team from the Big Twelve Conference on December 30.
· Stross closed out the regular season with 3 catches for 32 yards in Iowa’s 34-24 loss to Minnesota. He also recovered a fumble for the Hawkeyes. For the year, Trey caught 12 passes for 176 yards (14.7 YPC), with 1 TD and a long of 47 yards. On special teams, he made six tackles and blocked a punt.
· Andrew Means wound up his freshman year at Indiana, catching 4 more passes for 31 yards as the Hoosiers fell to Purdue, 28-19. Andrew’s season totals: 20 catches for 263 yards (13.1 YPC), with 1 TD and a long of 32 yards. He caught at least one pass in each of the 11 games he played.
· Chris Rau added two more tackles to bring his season total to five. The Hoyas dropped a 38-30 decision to Fordham.
· Jon Schroeder finished his year at Ashland with 228 rushing yards on 75 carries (3.0 YPC, long run 24 yards), and 8 catches for 103 yards (12.9 YPC, long 32 yards). Jon was the Eagles 2nd leading scorer with 7 TD’s rushing and 1 receiving for a total of 48 points.
· Kostelnik piled up some impressive stats through 10 regular season games. Matt scored 4 touchdowns on 2 interception returns, a fumble return, and a blocked punt. He made 32 tackles, including 10 for losses. He had 7 sacks for 51 yards, recovered 2 fumbles, forced one fumble, blocked 2 punts, and returned two for 36 yards – an 18 yard average.