(Home)             (Photos)

     The Shoremen lost a tough one Friday night, dropping a 28-21 decision to the undefeated Highland Hornets.  In a bold surprise move, Coach Laird switched the roles of David Winkel and Jeremiah Campo, starting Jerry at quarterback and David at wideout and cornerback.  Those two accounted for the bulk of the Shoremen’s 354 yards of offense as Winkel ran for 74 yards and caught three passes for 117 yards, while Campo rushed for 114.  But, on four trips to the red zone, Avon Lake came up empty three times, and a blocked punt with 12 seconds to go in the first half led to a TD for Highland that made it 21-7.  A 3rd quarter fumble at the Highland 18 killed a drive, and an interception a few minutes later gave the Hornets the ball at the A.L. 30. 

     Highland received the opening kickoff and returned it to the 23.  Two keepers by quarterback Bruce Kinsey picked up nine yards, but a run up the middle on 3rd & 1 was stopped short.  The Hornets elected to go for it on 4th & inches, but the middle of the defensive front stuffed the run and the Shoremen took over at the 33.  On the first play, Winkel came in jet motion, took the handoff from Campo around left end, and raced 28 yards to the Highland five.  Campo carried to the one on a keeper out of the shotgun, then moved under center to sneak the last yard into the end zone.  Alex Voloshen’s PAT made it 7-0 good guys less than three minutes into the game.  Danny Disbrow’s hard hit on the returner left the Hornets starting from their own 22.  Al Pivcevich dropped Kinsey for a loss of two on first down, and Highland ended up punting, with Max Seipel returning the kick seven yards to the Shoremen 47.  The Shoremen went three and out, punting to the Highland 29. Kinsey broke loose on first down for a 31 yard gain to the A.L. 40.   A Shoremen offsides penalty helped the Hornets get a first down at the 27, and on 4th  & 9, Kinsey hit a tightly covered Cory Moncol with a beautiful throw on a fade for a 26 yard TD to knot the score at seven.  Wyatt Ohm returned the kickoff to the 36, and Campo hit Winkel on the left side line for 19 yards.  Campo ran for a first down to the 28, and a pass interference call moved the ball to the 11.  The drive stalled at the nine, and Voloshen’s field goal attempt was wide.  Highland moved the ball to midfield but had to punt, with Seipel catching the ball in traffic at the 24.  Winkel lined up at quarterback in the shotgun on first down and ran a sweep right, turning the corner and sprinting 48 yards to the Highland 27.  Facing 4th & 2 at the 19, Collin Lucas ran a toss sweep to the right, but slipped as he tried to cut upfield and the ball went back the Hornets with 6:01 left in the half.  Kinsey took them down the field, completing a couple of passes and gaining chunks of yardage on keepers up the middle.  Highland scored with 1:16 left in the half, and after Campo was sacked on first down, the Shoremen used a couple of running plays to try and run out the clock.  Highland used their timeouts to force the Shoremen to punt with 20 seconds to go. The kick was blocked and returned by the Hornets to the five. On the next play Kinsey hit his brother Coltin for a five yard TD to take a 21-7 lead at the half.

     The Shoremen opened the second half with a three & out, and Highland punted the ball back after picking up one first down.  Campo ran for a first down to the 41, but a false start pushed the ball back the 36.  Campo burst up the middle on a keeper and outran everyone for a 64 yard TD to close the gap to 21-14.  Things were really looking up for the Shoremen when Kyle Kuhar picked off a Kinsey pass at the Hornet 35.  Two Campo runs netted a first down at the 18, but disaster struck as the Shoremen fumbled the ball back to Highland.  The Hornets went three and out, and a short punt was downed at the Highland 45.  Campo’s pass was intercepted on the next play and returned to the Shoremen 30.  The Maroon & Gold “D” came up big again, taking the ball back on downs.  The Shoremen managed one first down before punting, and this time the kick was returned into Avon Lake territory at the 45.  It took seven plays – all runs – for the Hornets to score and take a 28-14 lead with 7:22 to play.  Avon Lake gained a first down at their 36, but came up short on 4th & 2 at the 44.  A facemask penalty ob Highland moved them back into their end of the field, forcing a punt to the Shoremen 17.  On 3rd & 7 from the 19, Winkel broke behind the secondary on a post pattern.  The ball appeared to be overthrown, but David reached with one hand, tipped the ball up, pulled it in, and raced the rest of the way to an 81 yard touchdown pass with 1:42 to play.  The onside kick was recovered by Highland, who picked up one first down and the took a knee twice to end the game and the Shoremen’s season.


(Home)        (Photos)


Avon Lake


















First downs





Rush Yds





Pass Yds





Passes att-comp-int















AL – Campo 1 run (Voloshen kick)
H – Moncol 26 pass from Kinsey (Allen kick)
H – Harris 2 run (Allen kick)
H – Kinsey pass from Kinsey (Allen kick)
AL – Campo 64 run (Voloshen kick)
H – Harris 5 run (Allen kick)
AL – Winkel 81 pass from Campo (Voloshen kick)