(Home)             (Photos)

     The Shoremen who showed up Saturday for the conclusion of the lightning-delayed game were 180 degrees different from the team that started the contest on Friday.  Avon Lake came out Saturday ripping off huge chunks of yardage on the ground, needing just a little over two minutes to travel 66 yards for the tying score.  They took the lead in the third quarter on an 18 yard pass from David Winkel to Max Seipel.  Ultimately the defense clinched a 14-7 victory with a great goal line stand when Ridgeville had three shots to score from the one yard line as time ran out.   The game had been suspended with 6:36 left in the second quarter Friday evening, with North Ridgeville leading 7-0 by virtue of an 85 yards, grind-it-out drive. 

     North Ridgeville won the coin toss Friday and deferred.  The Shoremen’s first play was a halfback pass by Collin Lucas, who led a wide open Jeremiah Campo just a bit too much.  On 4th & 7 Seipel punted to midfield, and the Rangers went to the air on their first play.  The severely overthrown ball was intercepted by Wyatt Ohm who made a nice return to the Shoremen 49.  Again, the offense went nowhere, and Seipel’s punt left Ridgeville in a hole at their own 10.  The Rangers went three and out, punting to the A.L. 45.  The Shoremen converted a 4th & 1 on a five yard run by Lucas, but the drive stalled there, with Seipel’s punt pinning Ridgeville deep again, this time at there own 15 with 3:51 to play in the quarter.  The Rangers then embarked on a tough, physical 17 play drive – 16 of the plays were runs – that consumed 8:33 and ended with a six yard touchdown run by C.J. Osbourne.  Ridgeville’s line manhandled the Shoremen defensive front, and their runners were rarely stopped by the first man to hit them. Ohm returned the kickoff to the 20, and Lucas gained two yards up the middle.  Winkel then hit Matt Gottschall in the left flat for a 12 yard gain, the last play before the lightning started.  After waiting over an hour, the decision was made to continue the game at 6:00 PM Saturday.  As the Shoremen left the field they had a total of two first downs and were getting beat in the trenches on both side of the ball.

     Ahhh, but what a difference a day makes!  After an incomplete pass on the first play Saturday, Wyatt Ohm took a toss sweep left for 11 yards and a first down.  Wyatt picked up four on an inside run,  and Lucas did the same.  Ohm bounced an off tackle run to the outside for 22 yards to the 25, the ran three consecutive toss sweeps to the left, good for 14, seven, and finally a four yard TD.  Voloshen’s kick tied the game just 2:18 after the game resumed.  Ridgeville went three and out, punting to the Shoremen 36.  After a holding call set them back to their 22, Winkel hit  a bomb to Seipel for 37 yards up the left sideline, good to the Rangers 47.  The drive stalled their, the Shoremen punted, and Ridgeville ran out the clock, content to take a 7-7 tie into the locker room.

     Voloshen’s second half kickoff  flew five yards into the end zone for a touchback.  A pass from Ridgeville QB Jason Lucas to TE Matt Feierabend gave them a first down at the 35.  Another completion to a diving wideout on 3rd& 4 moved the ball to the Rangers 46, but on second down, Osbourne fumbled and Jace Russell recovered for the Shoremen at their own 48.  Avon Lake couldn’t move the ball, and a hold on the punt return set the Rangers back to their 10.  After a three and out, Ridgeville punted to midfield, with Seipel returning it 10 yards to the 40.  On first down, Collin Lucas burst through a hole on a dive play and dragged a host of Ranger tacklers with him for a 23 yard gain to the 17.  Two runs lost one yard,  but on third down, Winkel found Seipel running a post deep in the end zone.  Max made a leaping grab with a defender draped all over him, and Voloshen converted for a 14-7 lead.

The rest of the third quarter and most of the fourth were a punting festival, with the ball pretty much staying in Ridgeville’s end of the field.  With 5:18 left, the Shoremen started a drive at their own 49.  Ohm carried off left tackle for a first down at the 40, and then picked up nine on the same play.  Lucas picked up a first down at the 28 with 3:43 left in the game.  Ohm picked up four more, and the Winkel carried near the first down marker, as it looked like the Shoremen would be able to run out the clock.  But a taunting call pushed them back to the 38,  and the Winkel was sacked at the Shoremen 47.  Seipel punted to the 25, and Ridgeville took over there with 1:55 and one timeout left.  The Rangers put together a really nice drive, mostly through the air, and when they completed their last pass to the one yard line with 55 seconds to play, things looked mighty dicey for the Shoremen.  A run up the middle gained nothing, and on second down, Trevor Anderson shut down a quarterback keeper to the left.  With just nine seconds left, the Rangers tried to power in with their fullback up the middle, but again the Maroon & Gold front stuffed him at the line as time expired.


(Home)          (Photos)


Avon Lake






N. Ridgeville












First downs





Rush Yds





Pass Yds





Passes att-comp-int















NR –Osborne 6 run (Blagojevic kick)
AL – Ohm 4 run (Voloshen kick)
AL – Seipel 18 pass from Winkel (Voloshen kick)